Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The American

“The American”

Welcome to the first ever “Movie Night Blog” entry. Movie Night isn’t just about all of the new hit movies coming out, but a mixture of old and new films that I watch and discuss here. Whether  you love or hate the movies that I talk about, shoot me a comment and let me know. Hopefully we can start a rich community of movie enthusiasts like myself.

Now with that said, this isn’t going to be your typical review blog. I am not here to be the next Roger Ebert by any means. I am just a guy that likes movies and likes discussing them.




To kick things off this week, the first movie I am reviewing is “The American” with George Clooney. I have to say the movie wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. It was somewhat predictable in parts, but  was still a good watch.

If you haven’t watched it yet the basic plot is pretty much this: “An assassin hides out in Italy for one last assignment.” Things don’t go exactly as planned though when Jack/Edward (George Clooney) falls for a local prostitute named Clara, played by the very beautiful Violante Placido. I have to say the movie gets much better when we get to see her nude scenes...... anywho, haha. It is an assassin movie with a heart basically. The movie seems to take a more dramatic/deep turn when Clooney befriends a local priest. The Priest played by “Paolo Bonacelli” seems to already know that Clooney is hiding some deep dark secrets. He tries to get Clooney to confess some of his sins, but Clooney is too private and paranoid for that.

You really start to feel sorry for Clooney’s character because you can tell that he is very lonely and is tired of the lifestyle that he has chosen. He doesn’t trust anyone, not even Clara even though it is obvious that she deeply cares for him. I really don’t like to give too much away and I know I hate spoilers just as much as the next person so I won’t go to deep into what happens in the movie.

One scene though that I have to talk at least a little bit about is the opening sequence with Clooney and (who I am assuming is his girlfriend) the woman he is with in the beginning. What happens between them definitely sets the tone for the rest of the film and really just made me feel depressed.

If you like action/drama films then this should be right up your alley. I have to say the film leans more to the dramatic side than the action side. I give this film 4 stars out of 5. Good film.
So if you are looking for a film that both you and your significant other will enjoy this is a good choice.

✪✪✪✪✫





I know this isn’t the usual type of blog/review you may have been expecting but give me a break this is my first post. Expect better reviews and possible additions to the Movie Night Blog in the future. I am planning at least one movie post a week and possibly some smaller posts in between. Maybe some movie news and mini reviews or even some video posts.




No comments: