Monday, April 25, 2011

Madea’s Big Happy Family


Well I was pretty much dragged to this movie because I dragged my wife to see Scream 4.  Well she usually doesn’t like horror films and I usually don’t like corny Tyler Perry movies, but this time around we both somewhat changed our minds. Well maybe I shouldn't say we both changed out minds.

Now I already reviewed Scream 4 and So I am not going to talk about it too much here. We both enjoyed movies that we thought we wouldn’t. Which just proves that you should always have an open mind in regards to new movies and to life in general I guess.

Well let’s talk about the movie, since that is why we are here. Most if not all Tyler Perry movies have a very Christian undertone to them and this one is definitely no different. This to me along with the overly family oriented dialogue and storyline comes off as a bit corny and childish.

I felt that way with some parts of the movie but for the most part this movie is really good and to be honest quite funny. Not being a big Tyler Perry fan I really didn’t know some of the characters in the movie, like everyone else in the theatre seemed to. So it made it quite confusing in parts because I didn’t know who they were and why they were there.

While we are talking about characters I have to talk about Mr. Brown. I guess Mr. Brown is supposed to be a major comedic aspect of the movie but to be honest with his bad acting plus the poorly scripted/directed scenes that he is featured in, he comes off as a really stupid character that has no real reason for being in the movie. I would have enjoyed the movie much more had he been cut out or replaced by someone else.

Some of the jokes and gags in this movie are very tired and just not funny, honestly if the movie didn’t have a good overall plot and decent acting from some of the characters then this movie wouldn’t even be worth writing about. Shirley and her kids are the true main focus of this movie and at least they can act.

This movie doesn’t really change my thoughts on Tyler Perry movies but I am glad that I took the time to give this movie a chance. I got a few laughs from it and enjoyed the plot. I am still only giving this move 3 out of 5 because of it’s flaws, but the movie is worth watching.


Review: 3 out of 5 Stars


Synopsis
Madea jumps into action when her niece, Shirley, receives distressing news about her health. All Shirley wants is to gather her three adult children around her and share the news as a family. But Tammy, Kimberly and Byron are too distracted by their own problems: Tammy can't manage her unruly children or her broken marriage; Kimberly is gripped with anger and takes it out on her husband; and Byron, after spending two years in jail, is under pressure to deal drugs again. It's up to Madea, with the help of the equally rambunctious Aunt Bam, to gather the clan together and make things right the only way she knows how: with a lot of tough love, laughter ... and the revelation of a long-buried family secret.


No comments: