Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Up in the Air


First of all I need to apologize for not posting last week. I decided to take a week off, which I now regret. I will be sure to try and post a new review every week, If I can. So let’s get started with this week’s review, which is a day late.

This week’s review is of a movie that I have to say I really enjoyed. Up in the Air (2009) with George Clooney. It seems that Clooney typically plays the same type of character in all of his movies, the slick quick witted corporate tough-guy that looks great in a suit and knows it. Don’t get me wrong I am definitely a fan of Clooney, it’s is just something I have noticed.

Clooney plays Ryan Bingham, a corporate contractor that jets all around the country firing people for their boss’s that are too chicken to do it themselves. Bingham loves his job, mainly because it keeps him on the road for most of the year & because it helps him get closer to his goal of achieving 10,000,000 frequent-flier miles, making him one of only a handful of people to do it.

All is going well for Bingham until Natalie, a recent cornell grad, played by Anna Kendrick who begins to shake things up with her new idea of firing people remotely via a teleconference. If Bingham doesn’t do something, he risks being grounded for good. If this happens then there will be no more frequent-flier miles and no more hotel romps with the sexy Alex (Vera Farmiga) who just so happens to be the female version of himself.

The answer to his problems comes in the form of one last trip to show the new recruit the ropes and why she can’t do what he does over a T1 connection. What ensues afterwards is quite funny but also quite sad as the story and the characters develop.

I have watched this movie more than once and I quite enjoy it. This movie also makes me want to get a TravelPro suitcase like the one Clooney uses.

I definitely give this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter

No comments: